Saturday, September 24, 2011

Full moon test shots

I planned to shoot the full moon on the evening of the Lunar Mid-Autumn on Sept 12th with the tripod set up. However, I found a great buy of a mint complete set of Nikkor AF-S VR I 70-200mm f2.8G ID-ED on that day. Because I had to rush to grab it before it was too late, I missed the great moment to shoot the full moon in yolk color while it is rising from the horizon. So, I dropped my initial plan and did a quick and simple test shots without the tripod. Testing gears: Nikon D300Nikkor AF-S VR I 70-200mm f2.8G ID-ED, Nikkor AF-S 80-200mm f2.8D IF-ED, Nikkor AF-S 300mm f4D IF-ED, Nikon AF-S TC-20E II and Nikon AF-S TC-14E II.

All photos were taken by hand held, AF-C, ISO800 to minimize the shake. Nikkor AF-S VR I 70-200mm f2.8G ID-ED was taken with VR on. The VR does a little help at high shutter speed and I can see the image is much stable in the viewfinder. It seems a little bit sharper compares to Nikkor AF-S 80-200mm f2.8D IF-ED, but only when you blow the images 100% up to compare. I am surprise to find that at 200mm focal length at the infinity distance, the Nikkor AF-S VR I 70-200mm f2.8G ID-ED covers just a little more than the Nikkor AF-S 80-200mm f2.8D IF-ED, meaning shooting just a little bit closer. Well again, only when zooming in 100% to compare. Without measuring them, you can not tell the difference. Hey, we are talking about 100% blow up, no one would  have to bother this.












No comments:

Post a Comment